Monday, November 4, 2013

Book Review: Allegiant


___________________________________________________


Title: Allegiant
Author: Veronica Roth
Date Read: Oct. 26 - 30
Rating: ★★★★★


First thing off, the pacing for Allegiant I found to be quite similar to Divergent's, which is a bit slow. Not a lot of action and was more on painting a picture of how things picked up after the end of Insurgent. How people are coping with the factions being taken down and Evelyn acting as the new leader. We see now, even better than before, why Tris and the rest wants to get out. And once they do get out, it was a descriptive of how the outside world looked like; who they met along the way, the places they went by and stayed at.

At about half of the book, I was reeling with the new information. I felt like I was one of them, felt as if my world was crumbling down as theirs did. In the first two books, I lived in the same world as them and to know that that world was just a lie, that all you knew and believed in were just things other people wanted you to believe. I, for one, would not know how to pick myself up after that, so it just shows how strong these characters really are.

Now, a few things I realized I like of Veronica is (1) how she manages to tell the story and then smoothly transition into refreshing the readers memories of what has happened in the latter books; just little reminders that don't deviate you so much from what is actually happening. And (2) the way she brings comic relief in a rather serious setting; she manages to make you smile or laugh amidst the heaviness of the characters' situation – she does so effectively. I also think it's good that she used a dual perspective because now I got to know Tobias and understand his reasons and thinking a little better; we all got to know him from an unbiased point of view.

I have to say though, at some point in the book I started hating him, because I think he did an idiotic move, and that hatred went on for about 8 chapters or more(mostly more). But I kept thinking how Tris still wants to be with him, so I let it be. I love Tris so much that I respect whatever decision she makes. Also, I understand her reasons for still wanting to be with him in spite of what he's done. I mean, yes, they have done wrong to each other – they fought and argued and lied – but the fact remains that they love each other. I once read somewhere that if you’re going to choose who you’re going to be with, choose someone who makes you a better person. As Amar has said, Tris brings out something in Tobias; that something, I think, is life. Tobias, on the other hand, makes Tris feel better about herself. He’s the one who gives her the reassurance she needs.

So if it wasn't obvious enough, there would be an uprising towards the end and I honestly don’t know how to feel about it (and Tris’ plan on exposing the Bureau’s secrets) because I don’t really like wars or even fights – I have no idea how I survived reading this or the Hunger Games for that matter – but I see the importance of it so I kept hoping they do it successfully. This is also what led to me loving Tris even more than I already do, because this girl, having already proven to me how amazing she was before, did it again and much more in Allegiant. That bravery and selflessness I first loved about her, shone even brighter here. 

Here comes the hard part.. was it a happy ending? No. Did it break my heart? Hell yes. Is it a good book? It is a GREAT book. As heartbroken as I am about the ending, I understand why she ended it that way, and I can accept that.

And here's a lesson for everyone, a book isn’t determined to be good on whether it has a happy ending or not because it is not obligated to have a happy ending. A book is obligated to tell a story, that’s the whole purpose of it. And Veronica does that, and in a very well manner. Remember that you shouldn’t say a book is bad just because it has a sad ending, or because it didn’t have the ending you wanted. Learn to respect the author’s decisions for ending it as she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment