Saturday, October 19, 2013

Book Review: Fangirl

I have done a few reviews(up and posted on my Goodreads account) but this would be the first time I'll post one on my blog, so without further ado.

___________________________________________________



___________________________________________________


Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Date Read: Oct. 17 - 19
Rating: ★★★★★

I think I'll be saying this for all of her books but it just is true: Rainbow Rowell writes some amazing books. The kind of book that, although is a work of fiction, has such a realistic feeling. The characters are believable. The story is believable. The emotions were all so heartfelt.

Honestly speaking, I wasn't hooked to the story 1/3 of the way in. I didn't get most of what was being said - it was all so hard to understand and take in - and the idea of the story got lost to me. But through the half part I started to understand things and really see what was happening, which kinda sucked because that was when things started falling apart. It felt good though to cheer on Cath through all the shit happening to her. And it felt amazing to see all those problems get resolved: her dad, her sister, Levi, Fiction-writing. It was as if I fixed something in my life every time she got to fix something in hers. That was how realistic it came to me.

The ending, on the other hand, left me dumbfounded. I was surprised that she ended it that way but at the same time could understand why: since young it has always been Wren and Cath in their own bubble, but when Wren decides to come out and explore the world, she was left hiding on her own. A bit later, it explained, in Cath's own words, that there's no need to hide anymore - that she's strong enough for herself to stop hiding. It showed a Cath that was finally brave enough to face the world even without Wren holding her up all the time.

At the end of book, I realized two things: (1)We are all fangirls. May it be crying over a fictional canon from a book or singing along to a band or sitting on the couch in front of the tv cheering on a basketball team or in class admiring the English professor; as long as we have a liking or an admiration to something or someone, we are a fangirl(or fanboy for that matter). And there's no being ashamed to it. Ever. And (2) if you think that you would end up alone in a cottage with 10 cats just because you're weird and socially awkward, then think of what happened to Cath, how she and Levi fell in love, because as much as you think it's impossible, someone out there likes you(may even love you) for being weird and socially inept. And besides, isn't there a song that goes "what makes you different, makes you beautiful"?

No comments:

Post a Comment